Engagement Sessions are some of the most fun photo sessions. For many couples this is the first time that they have had a professional photography session and I find that there are common questions that my brides and grooms ask about preparing for the engagement session. I hope these tips will help you prepare for your engagement photos!
Why should we have our engagement photos done?
- My favorite reason to have engagement photos is that it is our opportunity to really get to know one another before your big day. It will help you get to know me and what to expect from me on the big day and I love learning more about you. This helps me customize your wedding day photography even more.
- You can also use engagement photos for all sorts of things! You can submit a photo to your local paper for an engagement announcement; send out some adorable save-the-dates; use them for bridal shower or wedding day decor, or give framed prints as gifts to your families.
What should we wear for our engagement session?
- Avoid being too matchy-matchy. Gone are the days of both couples wearing white t-shirts and jeans. You’ll want what you wear to complement each other, not copy!
- Try to stick with more neutral tones (white, off-white, blush, grays, etc). If you love color try using just a pop of color to tie both of your outfits together.
- For women, avoid shirts that are baggy or super-loose. Sometimes the camera can exaggerate the looseness in the clothing, which can cause one to appear more round than they really are.
- Feel free to bring an outfit change (one casual look, one dressy look). It’s always good to switch things up a bit and if we change locations, it will essentially be like you had two photoshoots.
- Solid colored clothing items are great, and if you want to bring in a pattern, have only one person wearing the pattern.
- Wear what you feel comfortable in. If you’re not comfortable in what you’re wearing, it often shows in the images.
- Heels photograph really well and make women’s posture and legs look amazing. If you do choose to wear heels, also bring flip-flops or other shoes that you can be more comfortable in while walking in-between shots.
- Try on everything a few days before the shoot. You’ll want to make sure your clothes fit correctly and you don’t have distractions from panty lines, bra straps, poor fitting clothing, or wrinkles!
Still need a little inspiration for your outfit? Check out my Engagement Session Outfit Board! I also have gowns available for rent for your session if you want an elegant look!
Should I get my makeup professionally done?
There are many benefits to getting your makeup done professionally:
- Makeup looks different on-camera than in-person, and a professional makeup artist will know how much more makeup you’ll need to show well on camera and make you look your best!
- Your skin will look better in-camera (I highly recommend that you use a makeup artist who airbrushes on their makeup), and you’ll be amazed how awesome your skin looks!
- It’s a great trial run for your wedding day! You can find out what works and what doesn’t, and make adjustments for your wedding day.
Should we bring props?
This is completely up to you! If there are certain items that reflect something about you guys or your story that you would like to incorporate into photos, you can definitely bring them (hats, fun shoes, a pet, sports paraphernalia, a car, bicycles, etc.)! However, props are not necessary to make amazing images and we definitely don't want the session to become all about the props and less about you two together so I do tend to limit the use of props during sessions.
Is there anything else we should bring?
Bring finishing powder to help eliminate any shine on the skin, lipstick, and hairspray for any flyaway hairs. Other than that you’re good to go! Be ready to have some fun!